Friday, November 5, 2010

The more you know about yourself, the more you are able to make changes for the better. Take this quiz to increase your self awareness and boost your mental heath while learning ways to improve your eating choices.

1. A typical weeknight dinner looks like:
A. Whatever’s in the fridge and pantry (usually a hodgepodge of cheese, crackers, pretzels, hummus, leftovers, etc.).
B. Nothing. I often end up skipping dinner. I’m too busy with work or my kids or I get caught up with other things in the evening.
C. Pizza, Chinese food or another kind of takeout—whatever I’m in the mood for.
D. A meal in a sit-down restaurant. I often dine out with business colleagues or friends.
E. A home-cooked but not-too-fancy meal.

2. In my grocery cart, you’ll usually find:
A. Mostly snack items and things for the pantry, plus some essentials like fruit, milk and eggs. I rarely make full meals at home.
B. Mostly convenience or frozen foods and kid-oriented items for lunches.
C. Prepackaged and frozen meals.
D. A mix of fresh produce, red meat or chicken, bottled water, maybe some ice cream or another treat. I stay far away from the “diet” aisle.
E. A good variety of healthy basic (vegetables, chicken, pasta, etc.).

3. On weekends, I tend to:
A. Eat too much or too frequently throughout the day. I rarely feel satisfied and snack a lot.
B. Run errands and be on-the-go during mealtimes, which makes it hard to sit down for a balanced meal.
C. Eat more junk food and have heavier meals than I do during the workweek.
D. Have just 2 meals, such as brunch and a dinner out. When I get to meals, I’m really hungry and often consume more than I need to, leaving the table too full.
E. Eat similarly to how I do during the week; maybe I’ll go out to dinner once.

4. I usually grab a snack:
A. When someone offers me one.
B. When I realize I’m hungry and won’t have time for a real meal.
C. When I’m craving something specific, like chocolate or salty pretzels.
D. When I get the chance to sample something really unique and delicious.
E. In the mid-afternoon to keep my energy up between lunch and dinner.

5. I cook at home:
A. Rarely. By the time dinner rolls around I’m usually too hungry to think about cooking and I don’t have the right ingredients on hand. I end up making a “meal” out of whatever’s in the fridge or pantry.
B. Often. I usually make meals that I can whip up quickly.
C. Almost never. I’d rather pick up what I’m craving than attempt to make it.
D. Sometimes. But I really only enjoy cooking if I have quality ingredients on hand and plenty of time to prepare them.
E. Almost always. I want to ensure I’m cooking and eating healthy meals.

6. I eat most of my food:
A. Late at night. I tend to forget to eat during the day unless I’m especially hungry.
B. At dinner time. That’s when I finally have time to sit down for a substantial meal.
C. Whenever I’m really, really hungry. I often have cravings for sweets and carbohydrates.
D. At lunch and dinner. I try to have a very light breakfast so I can indulge later.
E. Spaced pretty evenly throughout the day.

7. When it comes to portion sizes:
A. I typically don’t pay much attention.
B. I try to be conscious of them, but I don’t usually bother measuring out portions.
C. I generally eat what’s given to me. A lot of my meals are already pre-portioned or prepackaged.
D. I usually have moderate portions and can tell when I am full.

8. What’s your biggest challenge when trying to lose weight?
A. I feel hungry all the time.
B. I don’t have time or energy to prepare complicated “diet” meals for myself.
C. I get derailed by cravings.
D. I feel restricted to eating “diet” foods, which I hate.
E. It’s a mystery. I feel like I’m doing all the right things, but the weight isn’t coming off.

9. Fruits and vegetables are:
A. Rarely on my plate.
B. Things I enjoy, but I usually reach for ones that are portable (like a banana).
C. Something I like but I don’t get a lot of variety. If I’m in the mood for blueberries, I might eat a whole container but then not have any other fruit for the rest of the day.
D. A large part of my diet. I try to buy the freshest, best produce available.
E. I try to eat them at every meal, but usually stick to the same 3 or 4 types.

Answer Key
If you answered mostly As… You’re a Mindless Muncher
You love a good snack when you see it. Multiple snacks tend to compromise the majority of your “meals” throughout the day… which means you often rack up excess empty calories without you realizing it. Your best Get Real Diet defense: Keep the snacks, but save them for snack time. Plan ahead and make sure you eat 3 meals a day, with a snack or two sprinkled in as a treat.

If you answered mostly Bs… You’re a Time-Crunched Dieter
You’ve got an incredibly hectic schedule and are generally balancing more than you chew, literally. You often find yourself skipping meals or get caught in sticky situations without healthy meal or snack options. Your best Get Real Diet defense: Plan and prep ahead of time! Set up a weekly grocery shopping list, get into the routine of planning out healthy meals and snacks ahead of time, pack a few “emergency snacks” in your bag, and always be sure to keep fruit and vegetables in the fridge.

If you answered mostly Cs… You’re a Cravings Crasher
Every time you’ve attempted to drop those extra pounds, you get derailed by cravings and lose steam. Take a closer look at what might be bringing on those intense cravings and learn how to better manage them and smartly address them. Check your diet for too many artificial sweeteners or sugar-free products, which can spike sweet and carbohydrate cravings. Address cravings smartly and in smaller portions; have a small piece of chocolate if that’s what you desire, but don’t skip dinner in lieu of half a chocolate cake!

If you answered mostly Ds…You’re a High Taster
You have an aversion to “diet” foods and don’t think much of fad diets, which is good news. You love a good meal out and great quality food, but you may be eating too much of it which makes it hard to keep the pounds off. Your best Get Real Diet defense: Remember to focus on portion sizes and ensure that you’ve got a balanced plate at most meals: 50% fruit/vegetables; 25% lean protein; 25% whole grains/healthy carbohydrates. If you frequently eat meals out, make an effort to cook at home a few more times a week when possible. Check out these deliciously healthy recipes.

If you answered mostly Es...You’re a Balanced Eater Who Needs a Push
You do your best to eat, shop and cook healthfully, but you’re still not losing weight. Many things might explain this, but it’s quite possible that your metabolism has slowed a bit with age—which means you need to cut back on what you’re eating (yes, even healthy foods) if you want to slim down. Leaving a quarter of your food on your plate at every meal could make a huge difference. You might also try pushing your body out of its comfort zone by experimenting with some new meals and flavors. Another great way to give your metabolism a boost and burn calories: Get moving! Regular exercise (both cardio and strength-training) just may give your body the kick it needs.

This quiz can be found on http://www.womansday.com/Articles/Health/Diet-Nutrition/Why-Can-t-You-Lose-Weight.html

For more information, visit www.HealingLLC.com for details. 

No comments:

Post a Comment